Six albums and one that got away

Looking through my vinyl collection, I realised it's not the 'cool' records that provoke the most vivid memories... and that my heart is still breaking for the one that got away. 


When I was ten (back in the early 80s) I sneaked the family record player into my bedroom. When there was no objection from my parents, I officially claimed it as mine (so sneaky, but fricking genius). I began to listen to my mum and dad's records and fell in love with Simon and Garfunkel and Ella Fitzgerald. Then for my birthday, my dad bought me the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and a Nina Simone collection album featuring My Baby Just Cares for Me (more about Nina later). From then on, I began collecting records from the record sellers who had stalls in the Peace Hall in Bradford (I loved that place so much). 


The very first record I ever bought for myself was a single of Ella Fitzgerald singing Every Time We Say Goodbye. I can still see the stall I bought it from, and I remember the 1920s heels I bought that day too (where did they go?). I listened to that single over and over again for weeks and I remember my dad joking, "you can wear out the vinyl if you listen to it too much". 



That single evokes such vivid memories but so do six others albums and specific songs, here are the vivid memories that never go away...

Simon and Garfunkel - Only Living Boy in New York
As soon as I listen to this I'm back on my bed as an early teen reading the Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst by Nicholas Tomalin and Ron Hall. Donald was the incredibly brave amateur sailor who competed in the Sunday Times Golden Globes Race in the late 60s, a single-handed attempt to sail round the world. The story is compelling as he tragically died, from what is supposed suicide, after suffering from incredible stress. I always admired Donald Crowhurst, he was and is so inspiring, and his story still makes me feel sad. Every time I listen to the Only Living Boy in New York it reminds me of him. 


Helen Reddy - Delta Dawn
This was one of my mum's records and I love it. Delta Dawn is just brilliant. A song about a 41-year old woman who's gone a bit crazy and is waiting for her lover to pick her up and take her away. Is he dead? Is he a scum bag? It's a great story and the little details are fabulous; the faded rose she's holding (maaawww). I love this song, and it totally takes me back to cycling around Saltaire singing it as a teenager. I used to cycle everywhere and sometimes I'd go to a hotel in Bingley that hosted jazz nights. I had so much confidence, I didn't care that I was alone and surrounded by old people (all my friends were too cool for jazz, and it was my secret passion). 


Bjork - Venus as a Boy
When I was at university I was forced to do work experience at a community centre. I think the university realised we were all a bit lazy and so they made it a thing. I got sent to Lache Community Centre just outside the city walls of Chester. Despite myself I loved it. I loved the people; they smoked, told filthy jokes, took the piss because I was a bit eccentric, told me the most incredible stories and accepted me with open arms. On my walk to 'work' everyday along the the city walls I listened to Bjork on my Sony Walkman. I was in love with everything about her, and I loved walking to 'work'. I loved that time in my life, and when I bought this Bjork album many years later, Venus as a Boy flings me back to walking the walls.  


Lloyd Cole - Ice Cream Girl
When I started at Daisy Hill Middle School in Bradford at age eleven, I was so obsessed with Lloyd Cole I said my middle name was Lloyd and that went on the register! What a weirdo! I also used to carry a photo of him, which I still have somewhere (he was on a paisley rug, my other obsession - all things paisley to go with my bowler hat). I had a proper crush on him (still do actually, he's beautiful, have a look at him now on YouTube), and I wanted to be his Ice Cream Girl. This song takes me back to getting dressed for school as Charlie Chaplin with my carpet bag (yes, I did get beaten up for it, but it never stopped me). 


Madonna - Dear Jessie
I love Madge, but there's one song of hers that has a special place in my heart and that's Dear Jessie. I don't know why to be honest. It's a great song but fluffy and it doesn't really sum her up as an artist. I listen to this and I'm in the living-room of our house in Nabwood, with the volume up loud (we had a detached house, so we could be noisy. My mum worked nights, while my brother was often out, so I had the house to myself - bliss). I'd dragged the record player downstairs and sat on the floor listening at all my records. I even remember what I was wearing (a vintage silk nightie and a cardigan). It's such a happy memory; the beginning of freedom as a teenager, even though the song is about a child. Candy kisses and a sunny day - love it!


And finally, as a special mention, we have Nick Drake and this album cover. 


I can't say I have vivid memories of the songs, but the photograph on that cover always blows me away. He's an artist who continues to give me memories, as I listen to him a lot. 

And now the sad bit!
Looking through my record collection there's one album that's missing and that's the Nina Simone one my dad bought me. It still hurts that I no longer have it. I lent it to a friend called Wojchiek when I lived in Folkestone, and he never returned it and took another Simon and Garfunkel album that was pretty rare. If I ever meet him again, I will be asking him for my Nina Simone album back. Never lend people you're records darlings. Never!




If you have any memories, or even share a love of some of these songs, I'd love to know. And if you lived in Bradford in the 70s, 80s and 90s, let me know too. Also, if you know a Wojchiek with an obsession with Simon and Garfunkel tell him to return my record please XXXXX

Comments

Popular Posts